Thursday, January 22, 2009

Albondigas

I wasn't convinved this was a great recipe when I originally made it, but the leftovers have convinced me. I've eaten this five times already.

2 T olive oil
2 3/4 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
3 quarts beef or chicken broth {I used both}
2 14-oz cans of diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup chunky tomato salsa
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1 pound ground beef {I used turkey instead}
1/4 pound bulk pork sausage
6 T yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 cup white rice

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 3/4 cup onions, 2 cloves garlic, and bay leaves. Saute five minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, salsa and 1/4 cup cilantro and bring to boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

Combine ground beef, sausage, cornmeal, milk, egg , salt, pepper and cumin, then rest of onions, garlic and cilantro in medium bowl. Mix well. Shape mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Add rice and meatballs to soup and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

from Bon Appetit

No comments: