Monday, August 11, 2008

Mel's Award Winning Chocolate Chip Cookies

So, after much persuasion, here it is. Yes, it is award winning (even if it was just a competition at work) and yes, this is the exact recipe. For best results, and a chance at your own award, follow exactly.

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup butter flavored Crisco
2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 T vanilla (I only use real vanilla)
2 t salt
2 t baking soda
4 -5 cups flour
1 pkg. Hershey's milk chocolate chips (these are my favorite, although I understand Guittard is an excellent chip)
1 pkg. Hershey's special dark chips (again, you can use your favorite dark or semi-sweet chip)

In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment (or the kneading hooks--that's what I use on my Bosch) cream all ingredients except flour. You want to mix this until it is just barely incorporated, in fact, you will still have a few lumps of butter. Add 4 cups of flour, mix. Continue to add flour 1/2 cup at a time until the right consistency is reached (this is all by feel for me). Add chocolate chips. Bake 340* for 7-9 minutes for soft, slightly undercooked cookies; 9-10 minutes for fully cooked (and still soft) cookies.

These are best fresh from the oven in my opinion. I use a cookie scoop to make my cookies. I will scoop and place the dough on a plate or cookie sheet and freeze them. You can then pull frozen, perfectly shaped, dough balls from the freezer and cook for fresh hot cookies anytime.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Oh yummy...can't wait to make them!

Heather said...

I made them last night, they were as good as I remember! I also used half whole wheat pastry flour instead of just flour and they were still excellent!!! Thanks Mel!

jenhatch said...

these are for sure the best chocolate chip cookies ever Mel! It may have been because I had ones that January made - so that makes them extra good...

Farm Girl said...

These really were terrific! I love my choc chip cookie recipe, but this was a great change of pace and I love the dark brown sugar!

Heather said...

This also makes the best dough to eat! It is so good!