Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Black Bean Rice Burgers

I can't believe I didn't think to post this one before!

1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons salsa

Using a fork or potato masher, mash beans in a bowl. Add rice, onion, egg, and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Coat a nonstick pan with cooking spray. Drop bean mixture by 1/2 cupfuls onto hot pan; press each to about 1/2" thickness. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until well-browned and firm. (Note: If there is a secret to flipping these things without them falling apart, I haven't discovered it. I just sort of reshape them after flipping.)

For a great burger topping, combine 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 cup sour cream. Use instead of ketchup, mayo, etc.

1 comment:

jessica said...

have you ever tried to make ahead and freeze these? I think it would be great to have them on hand - like a Gardenburger or such.