Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Nuts & Chews Chocolates



I found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine and after I dipped it in dark chocolate it reminded me of See's Candies Nuts & Chews - which is a good thing in my book. I made quite a few changes with regards to the nuts I used - and I also added the chocolate part (not sure why it was ever omitted)





** Recipe called for walnuts, pecans, and Brazil nuts) **

  • 2 cups peanuts
  • 2 cups cashew pieces
  • 2 cups walnut pieces (raw, because that's what I had)
  • 2 cups almonds (raw, because that's what I had)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • Chocolate for dipping (I used dark chocolate)
Place the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 4-8 minutes or until toasted and golden brown, stirring once. Cool on a wire rack. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil, grease the foil with butter and set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cream and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in toasted nuts. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238 (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until creamy and thickened. Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool. Cover, refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Using foil, lift candy out of pan, discard foil. Cut candy into squares. Dip bottom half into chocolate. Set on wax paper to cool. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.

No comments: