Monday, February 23, 2009

Carnitas with Grilled Salsa Verde

Amazing, and sooo much flavor! I got this recipe from my Bon Appetit magazine. It's from a restaurant in Chicago, Table Fifty-Two (that appears to be pretty fancy). I only made the meat and used my favorite tomatillo sauce for my carnitas. But I put the grilled salsa verde recipe at the bottom. I'll try it someday... but I wanted to stick with what I knew to be good, real good. The meat is my new favorite, and will replace my recipe for the tomatillo burritos.

3 1/2 oz. achiote paste (about 1/2 package) {the pkg I found was exactly 3 1/2 oz.}
8 garlic cloves, peeled
2 jalapeno chiles, chopped with seeds
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro with stems
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 2 inch cubes
20 corn or flour tortillas
Grilled Salsa Verde (recipe below)
Sour cream
chopped red onions

Preheat oven to 300 F. Puree first 10 ingredients in blender until smooth.

Arrange pork in large roasting pan. Add achiote puree; mix to coat pork. Cover pan tightly with foil. Roast pork until very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 1/2 hours. Cool slightly. Coarsely shred pork. Mound pork in large bowl; add enough juices from roasting pan by 1/4 cupfuls to moisten as desired.

Wrap tortillas in paper towels or clean kitchen towel. Microwave on high until headed through, about 1 minute. Fill warm tortillas with carnitas. Top with Grilled Salsa Verde, sour cream and red onions.

{I just put the meat and puree in the crock pot all day}

Grilled Salsa Verde
{makes about 3 1/2 cups}

nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed
1 cup coarselty chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 jalapeno chile, halved, seeded

Spray grill racks with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill tomatillos until slightly softened and charred in spots, about 15 minutes. Transfer to processor. Add cilantro, 1/4 cup warm water, lime juice and jalapeno; process until almost smooth. Transfer salsa to medium bowl. Season to taste with salt.

No comments: