Thursday, January 3, 2008

Broccoli Cheese Soup

This is a recipe my sister-in-law gave me when I first got married. I usually half it for my family.

6 medium potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 crown broccoli, cut into small pieces

Cook these separately while I am putting together the soup base, which is

1 c. butter
1 c. flour
1 medium onion, chopped
8 c. milk
4 c. cheese

Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Put in the onion and flour. Stir in the milk and continue to stir so it doesn't scald. Add a small amount of cheese and see if it melts. If it does, add the rest of the cheese. If it doesn't, let it get a little hotter. Continually stir until it starts to lightly boil. Remove from heat. Add vegetables. My kids like it with Ritz crackers. If it is too think, just add a little water.

No comments: