Monday, July 13, 2009

Tamale Pie

I use to make this all the time when I first started cooking. It was when I thought that casseroles was the only form of cooking I could handle. Why I stopped making it, I'll never know because it is goood! But it's for sure going back into the rotation.


PIE

1 lb. ground beef

1 c. chopped onion

1 c. chopped green pepper

1 (16 oz.) can stewed tomatoes

1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained

1 c. sliced black olives {i omit, not a fan}

I clove garlic, minced

2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. salt

1 ½ c. grated sharp cheddar cheese {i use 1/2 c., and it's plenty}


CORNMEAL TOPPING

¾ c. yellow cornmeal

½ tsp. salt

2 c. cold water

1 T. butter


- Preheat oven to 375.

- Cook ground beef, onion and green pepper in skillet until beef is browned. Pour off excess fat.

- Add tomatoes, corn, olives, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt.

- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

- Add cheese, stir until it melts.

- Meanwhile, stir cornmeal and salt into cold water in saucepan. Cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat and stir in butter.

- Turn meat mixture into greased 9x9 casserole dish {or I'm assuming a pie dish would work, hence the name}. Top with cornmeal mush.

- Bake for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

No comments: